With the crisp chill of fall in the air and the holiday season arriving with a bang, many families feel their creative sides sneaking to the forefront. The approach of Halloween is a great opportunity to show off some of your best crafting skills. Finding the perfect costume for every member of your family, however, can feel like a real challenge! Remove some of the headache from the equation and choose from some of these great family-themed costume ideas, or set your creative mind soaring as you piece together a costume from supplies you already have on hand.
There are plenty of great superhero themes to choose from when you go the DIY route. From this great Incredibles family costume to a wonderful Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles design that can be adapted to each member of the family, why not let your superhero pride show this Halloween? Some other options:
- Create your own superheros with these fun masks. Add a cape and encourage the kids to design their own superhero ideas!
- Select from a variety of favorite DC heroes with these great no-sew tutorials.
- Tape up a fun pair of boots that will match any superhero costume.
Let's face it: there's nothing cuter than a little girl (or even a not-so-little girl) in a tutu. With a little bit of tulle and a whole lot of creativity, you can create a costume that will be sure to make your little one smile.
- Make your favorite superhero a little more feminine by adding a tutu.
- Turn a few strips of ribbon into an adorable cowgirl costume.
- Put together this fun scarecrow costume for a unique take on the tutu look.
- Let your daughter head for the stars as R2-Tutu!
- Transform your daughter into her favorite princess with a beautiful tutu skirt that will have her dancing all Halloween night.
Note: If you're going to make a tutu for a Halloween costume, the closer to the day you can make it, the easier it is to keep it looking its best. Tutus are easy to squash in a closet, especially for over-excited kids who can't wait for the big day!
Use What You Have
Working on a tight budget and know that you don't have a lot of room for Halloween fun? There are still some great Halloween costumes for you to choose from. Use supplies you already have in your home to:
- Turn the kids into doughnuts with summer's inner tubes. You and your spouse will make great bakers!
- Use overalls, brightly colored shirts, and drawn-on mustaches to mimic these Mario and Luigi costumes. Mom and Dad can easily be Player 1 and Player 2!
- Add "M's" to brightly colored shirts to create a whole family full of M&M's.
- Make your own adorable wig hats out of yarn, dress your daughter in her cutest outfit, and let her be a Cabbage Patch Kid!
- Use last year's animal costume over again, but add a fun tag to turn it into a Beanie Baby.
- A bit of felt on a favorite sweatsuit can create a variety of animals, from tigers and leopards to feathery birds. Just add ears and a tail, and you're ready to go!
Whatever you decide this Halloween, have a little fun with it! A tight budget for your costumes doesn't mean you can't have plenty of fun. If you start early, you can often stretch your Halloween costume budget a bit further as you enjoy even more creativity. Whether you're searching for costumes for the entire family or just looking for a great last-minute costume for the child who couldn't decide what they wanted to be, letting your creativity shine through is one of the most fun parts of the Halloween season.