Valentine’s Day is not just a day for couples to show their love for each other, kids can also display their love and thankfulness for friends and family with cards, gifts, and crafts. Show your kids kindness and service by helping them prepare Valentine’s Day gifts this year. Here are some fun craft ideas you can do with your children.
Hershey's Kiss Roses
These are fun and pretty easy to make, you can make one per recipient, or you can make a few bunches and cluster them together with ribbon to make a bouquet. Here is how to make Hershey's Kiss Roses:
- Giant bag of Hershey's Kisses
- Flower Wire – thin enough to bend and cut with wire scissors
- Green Flower Tape
- Red Cellophane – any see-through/red plastic sheets will do
- Ribbon – optional
- Glue or Clear Tape
- First, cut your red plastic into 3 x 3 inch little squares.
- Next, cut your wire into manageable pieces. These will be the stems of your rose buds.
- Take two Hershey's Kisses and tape or glue them together so that they look like a single rose bud, fat sides together.
- Stick your wire into one of the tips of the Hershey's Kisses.
- Wrap your Hershey's kiss rosebud with a square of red plastic.
- Now take your green flower tape and wrap the bottom of your rose bud (where the wire is sticking out) and the rest of the wire all the way down. Make sure you keep the tape tight or it will unravel at the end. Rip the tape when you are done, the end should stick to the rest of the tape if you pull it tight enough.
- Tie a ribbon around your rose, or make a bouquet of roses then tie a ribbon around the bouquet.
Need more help? Check out this tutorial.
This is a very simple and fun craft you can do with your kids.
- Small Canvas Bag – you can find one at the local craft store or dollar store
- Pencil with Eraser
- Red and Pink Paint
- Paper or Cardboard Heart-Shaped Cutout
- Pour paint on a paper plate.
- Place the heart cutout on your bag, where you would like the heart to go.
- Now, dip your pencil eraser into the paint and use it to stamp around the edges of the heart.
- Do this with both colors, all around the heart.
- Lift the heart cutout and allow the paint to dry.
- Enjoy your heart bag!
Salt Dough Heart Footprints
This is a great gift to make with young kids for grandparents and other family members.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- Mixing Bowl
- Cookie Sheet
- Tin Foil
- Red Paint
- Clear Varnish
- First you need to make your salt dough. Mix together your flour, salt, and water and knead the dough out.
- Wrap the cookie sheet in tin foil, then roll the dough out to the thickness and size you want and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Now, help your child to make her footprints in the dough. Do one foot at a time and overlap the heels so that the mold looks like a heart.
- Use a knife to cut around the footprints and make a heart-shaped ornament.
- Allow the dough to air dry for about 24 hours.
- After the dough has air-dried, bake the dough for about two to four hours at 125 degrees. Keep checking it periodically so the dough does not burn or crack.
- Cool and dry, then paint the feet with red paint to look like a heart. Here is a picture.
Happy Valentine's Day!