After wrapping up the school year, the boundless energy of children in the summertime is the perfect reason to look at the wealth of options for summer camps in Sewickley and the surrounding areas of Pittsburgh. With camps geared towards those with all different interests and starting points, there is sure to be the right camp that will help your child ditch the living room couch for unforgettable new experiences. Here’s a look at some of the best options that will let your child have fun, learn something new, and ultimately help him or her make the most out of the summer break.
For the musically intrigued, Sunburst School of Music offers a series of different camps for the summer that come with captivating themes aiming to spark the interest of young musicians. Looking to tap into the current craze surrounding hit Broadway musical Hamilton, the "Night at the Hip-Rock Opera" camp brings together attendees with the goal of learning how to write a rock opera in just a week. Not only will students learn how to write an original rock opera, they will also learn the basics of prop design and making logos to accompany their work. Later in the summer, Sunburst also offers a "Warped" camp where students will learn the music of various Warped Tour bands while also learning how to book a summer music tour and market band merchandise. Wrapping up the summer, the "Camp Studio" will teach all the essentials of music making, from writing lyrics and arranging songs to creating visually striking album art. All three camps are 9 a.m. to 3p.m. Monday through Friday, with an extended final day to accommodate a concert.
- Night at the Hip-Rock Opera: June 19-23 (Ages 7-15)
- Warped Summer: June 26-30 (Ages 10-17)
- Camp Studio: August 7-11 (Ages 10-17)
- Price: $349 per attendee per week for all three camps. Family discounts are available.
- Location: Sunburst School of Music, 5843 Forbes Avenue, Suite 201, 15217
For parents hoping to get their kids into the great outdoors, the Steel City Rowing Club offers a range of different possibilities. While "Youth Camps" and "River Fun Camps" are great options for younger adventurers to explore the Allegheny River with their peers, there are also options for older rowers of all different experience levels. More advanced rowers can take part in the "Rowing for Fitness" camp where students will learn about rowing fitness in an experience that is still considered fun and relaxing. For the more serious rower, the "Nike Crew Camp" is a great option for high school and college rowers looking to take their ability to the next level. With camps stretching all summer long for ages 8-29, there are all sorts of options for prospective campers to enjoy some of the natural highlights of the Pittsburgh region.
- Wildlife River Camp: Multiple weeks throughout summer; 9:30 a.m.—3:30 p.m. daily; ages 8-11; $280
- River Fun Camp: Multiple weeks throughout summer; 9:30a.m.—3:30 p.m. M, W, TH; ages 8-11; $80
- Rowing for Fitness ($180): Weeks in between June 12 through August 4; 9:30 a.m.—noon daily (ages 12-18)
- Learn to Row: Multiple weeks throughout summer; 9:30 a.m.—3:30 p.m. daily; ages 12-18; $280
- Location: Steel City Rowing Club, 101 Arch Street, Verona, 15147
Taking place each week between June 12th and August 18th, YMCA summer camps in Sewickley offer a very wide range of different activities to ensure kids of all ages have a summer of both learning and having fun. While athletic-based camps focus on sports like soccer, swimming, basketball, tennis, and many more, there are also options for young students to learn how to build robots, perform dance routines, and many other activities related to arts and crafts. Additionally, older campers can sign up for weeks of field trips dedicated to activities as diverse as golfing and visiting museums, offering an extraordinary variety that caters to children of all ages and interests. Including options for campers with special needs, the YMCA offers as an extensive set of choices as you’re likely to find anywhere this summer.
- June 12 through August 18
- Ages: 3-15 (prices vary)
- Location: Sewickley YMCA, 625 Blackburn Road, Sewickley, 15143 (Note: Drop-off locations vary depending on camp.)
Your child doesn’t have to be a theatrical standout to attend this tremendous day-camp aimed at helping attendees find their niche in the theater. While the youngest students learn how to perform in short plays, the oldest and most advanced campers can spend up to two weeks learning the essentials of a life in theatrical arts. Broken down into four different age groups, the Gemini Theater Camp gets more intensive with each step as attendees learn how to write, direct, act, and more with the help of Gemini’s experienced group of theater professionals. The camp will also be held at Gemini’s brand new facility, providing a terrific backdrop filled with the modern amenities of the theater that will help your child tap into creative energy he or she may not even be aware of. Attendees also have the option of morning, afternoon, or all-day sessions in more than two full months of camps this summer.
- Ages 4-6: Weeks in between June 12 through August 18; $215 half day, $425 full day
- Ages 7-11: Weeks in between June 19 through August 18; $215 half day, $425 full day
- Ages 11-14: Week of July 10 through July 14; $215 half day, $425 full day
- Ages 12-17: July 17 through July 28; $900, two-week program
- Location: Ryan Arts & Culture Center, 420 Chartiers Avenue, McKees Rocks, 15136