I found a delicious recipe for Vermont Maple Granola in a King Arthur Flour catalog and I've been using the recipe ever since. The jar is getting empty so it's time to make more. Here's the recipe the way I make it...
Vermont Maple Granola
- 7 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup wheat germ or flaxseed meal, optional
- 1 cup almonds, chopped or whole
- 1 cup pecans, chopped or whole
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup or more raisins and dried cranberries
In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, wheat germ, nuts, and milk powder. Mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour over dry mixture in bowl, stirring and tossing till everything is very well combined. Spread granola on a couple of 9x13 casserole dishes. Bake in a preheated 250°F oven for 2 hours, tossing and stirring mixture every 15 minutes or so. Remove pans from oven and cool completely. Transfer granola to a large bowl, and mix in dried fruit.