During the busy holiday season, it can be difficult to come up with great holiday gift ideas for every member of the family. You may also find yourself struggling to balance a tight budget. These homemade gifts from the heart will help stretch your holiday budget and make you feel more involved in the holiday giving process – not to mention offering up some creative ideas for the most difficult people on your list.
Get in the Kitchen
Homemade baked goods are some of the best gifts you can give at Christmas. This is especially true for family members who might live alone, which means they may not be able to make a big selection of baked goodies themselves. Try out some of these favorite recipes:
- Foolproof Chocolate Fudge
- Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- Copycat Tagalongs
- Danish Butter Cookies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Almond Joy Truffles
- Caramel Apple Slices
These are gifts that are fun to make and a delight to give. Better yet, they don't add to the clutter often acquired around the holiday season! The kids will love getting in the kitchen to help make some of these great seasonal recipes. Little ones can help measure, roll, and decorate, while older kids can manage most of the baking process themselves. If you need a smaller gift for a neighbor or teacher, banana bread or pumpkin bread are great choices.
Break Out the Sewing Machine
If you can sew a straight line, there are plenty of great gifts you can whip up on a sewing machine in no time. Two pieces of thick fleece in a favorite pattern can be sewn together to make a snuggly blanket that will be loved all season long. This simple drawstring bag is easy to whip up. This library tote bag can be made in kids' favorite patterns or using characters they'll know and recognize. Rice bags can be made up in a variety of sizes to warm the knots out of loved ones' shoulders, keep their feet warm at night, or simply to use as heating pads on a cold night. If you have kids at home, teaching them how to use the sewing machine will enable them to help with these projects. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be a labor of love!
Mix Up Sugar Scrubs
A selection of homemade sugar scrubs feels like a luxurious delight that your loved ones will be sure to appreciate – and best yet, they're easy enough for anyone to put together! Try some of these great favorites to mix up a basket of scrubs that everyone on your gift list will appreciate.
- Peppermint Sugar Scrub has a festive holiday scent that your friends and family will love. Note: it's a bit more abrasive than traditional sugar scrubs, so it might not be appropriate for elderly loved ones with thin skin.
- Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar Scrub will have all your loved ones smelling like a cookie and feeling incredibly pampered.
- Calming Lavender Sugar Scrub serves two purposes: making hands soft and smooth and calming and soothing the user before bedtime.
- Chocolate Sugar Scrub is a great choice for all the chocolate lovers on your list.
- Grapefruit Sugar Scrub has a great citrus scent that will delight you as you're making it and delight your loved ones as they use it.
Homemade gifts are a labor of love that your loved ones will be sure to appreciate. If you're struggling to come up with gift ideas this holiday season, consider involving the kids and getting down to work making them yourself. You'll be amazed by just how much they're appreciated--and how easy they are to put together.